Here are some of the reasons why people choose to adopt from rescue shelters, as well as a few reasons that people choose not to adopt. Hopefully you find this information helpful!
Reasons to adopt a pet from a rescue or shelter
1. You can save one of the latterly millions of animals that are euthanized in shelters every year. When you choose to adopt rather than buying from a pet store you are giving an animal a second chance at a happy healthy life.
2. When you adopt from a shelter or animal rescue you will probably pay far less for your new pet. Dogs and cats can be expensive. Rescuing has fewer costs.
3. Get good information. Some shelters have very knowledgable staff who can tell you about your pet or help you find the right match for your family. Take advantage of the opportunity to talk with people who know animals.
Some reasons people choose not to adopt pets from a shelter or animal rescue.
1. You may not be able to find the breed or animal that you are looking for.
2. There may be a wait time before you can adopt the animal. With most shelters and other rescue agencies there is a waiting period that they adhere to. They do this so that owners have time to reclaim lost pets.
3. You will probably have to do a lot of paperwork… Rescue organizations and shelters make you fill out basic paperwork that you won’t find when you get pets elsewhere.
4. You might be rejected if you don’t meet the organizations requirements. Whatever they may be.
5. The organization or shelter may not be taking great care of the animal. Although generally organizations like this are well intentioned they are often under funded or have too many animals. This can lead to poor living conditions and possible health problems with some animals.
We hope that you find the right solution for your family! Many people find that adoption is a great way to find the perfect pet. There is a good feeling that comes from saving an animal in need!